With the launch of ETIM 8.0 behind us we can now focus on taking ETIM usage in the UK electrotechnical sector to the next level. ETIM gets better with each new release and we want to make sure that this reflects UK market requirements. We are also looking to increase the reach and market penetration and to facilitate consistent use of ETIM.
Next steps for ETIM UK electrotechnical sector
We are setting up a number of expert working groups to focus on different types of product. Their objectives will include:
- Upgrading terminology in line with UK industry usage.
- Identifying and addressing gaps in ETIM values, features and classes.
- Identifying and adding UK-specific product standards.
- Adding UK reference products to the ETIM Classification Management Tool.
- Creating a set of guidance notes for manufacturers.
It’s important to remember that ETIM is an international standard so, if any major changes are proposed, we will work closely with the ETIM Standardisation Committee and our partners in other ETIM countries to ensure any proposed changes work for all.
Call for volunteers for ETIM working groups
We have already held the first meeting of the Fans & ventilation products and Wiring accessories groups. Others planned include the following (some of which may be split into sub-groups):
- Cable management (inc. underfloor systems)
- Cable terminations & accessories
- Electric heating products
- Fans & ventilation products
- Fire alarms, security, access control and call systems
- Lighting (inc. LED lighting; lighting distribution systems)
- Switchgear & distribution
- Wiring accessories
Development and use of ETIM requires input from industry product experts. We will put out a call for volunteers before each working group but if any ETIM UK member is interested in taking part, or you want to suggest another group, please contact Richard.email@example.com
Change Proposal Form
All change requests will be carefully considered and discussed with relevant stakeholders before deciding on an appropriate course of action.