Twenty-five leading manufacturers and wholesalers have signed up as Founder Members of EDATA, a new ‘by the industry for the industry’ product data pool.
EDATA is a strategic initiative from EDA Data Services.
E-commerce and digital transformation are inextricably linked to the availability of the highest quality product data, and EDATA offers manufacturers a central ‘single source of truth’ resource for uploading product information, technical data and images which wholesalers can download and serve up on their customer-facing e-commerce channels.
Signing up for an initial three year term, Founders have committed uploading and downloading product data to kick-start the EDATA service. A group made up of representatives from each of the Founders will steer the development of EDATA, which will be accessed through annual subscription, with the costs and benefits shared by all who subscribe. Once up-and-running, EDATA will be opened-up to both EDA and non-EDA manufacturers and wholesalers.
Introducing the EDATA Founders
- BEMCO – British Electrical and Manufacturing Company
- BED Electrical Distributors (BED (Corby) Ltd)
- Edmundson Electrical Ltd
- ERF Electrical Wholesalers Ltd
- KEW Electrical Distributors Ltd
- LEW Electrical Distributors
- Rexel UK Ltd
- R & M Electrical Group Ltd
- Stearn Electric Co Ltd
- ABB Ltd
- Aico Ltd
- Ansell Lighting
- Deta Electrical Company Ltd
- Eaton Electric Ltd
- Electrium Sales Ltd (A Siemens Company)
- Glen Dimplex Heating & Ventilation
- Hager Ltd
- LEDVANCE Ltd
- Luceco Plc
- Prysmian Cables & Systems Ltd
- Schneider Electric Ltd
- Scolmore Group
- Signify (Philips Lighting)
A step forward for the UK
Margaret Fitzsimons, CEO at the EDA, added
“It’s fantastic news that these EDA members and affiliated members are backing this new venture and helping us get it off the ground, because it is much needed. Industry owned data pools are widespread in other markets and sectors, in this respect the UK is somewhat behind.
“EDATA gives the UK’s electro-technical supply chain the opportunity to say goodbye to the heavy workloads created by processing data through multiple channels and hello to enhanced ecommerce infrastructure.”
Onboarding the Founders
Richard Appleton, General Manager of EDA Data Services added
“Digitalisation is an unstoppable force and most EDA members will be developing a digital or multi-channel sales strategy. EDATA will overcome one of the major barriers by providing a single source of rich, ecommerce-friendly product data. Manufacturers benefit too, being able to syndicate their data through a single channel while retaining full control of how their products and brand are presented.
“Our aim is for 250,000 products to be available via EDATA within three years. With this target in mind, EDA Data Services will work closely with each Founder manufacturer to develop an onboarding project suited to their needs and situation, enabling data to be uploaded in the shortest possible time while retaining the required quality. EDATA will be supported with a comprehensive programme of market engagement and education.”
Inside EDATA: three categories of product data
EDATA will hold information in three categories:
- Manufacturer Master Data, the core data needed to identify a product;
- Digital Assets such as images and data sheets; and
- Technical Attributes including dimensions, suitability and performance characteristics. The Technical Attributes held in EDATA will be structured in accordance with ETIM, the international data model for the standardisation and classification of technical product data enabling wholesalers to enhance their web sites with powerful product searches and filters.
The EDA has led the ETIM initiative for the UK’s electro-technical sector since 2017.